Week 12

  Samnaun is beautiful. I've been struggling with persistent stomach problems for a while now (hopefully they clear up when I go back to the States) so I was only able to go on one good hike with my brother. It was a very good hike. We went about 8 miles around a river valley and gained a total of 3000ft, the highest we got was just shy of 9000ft. This was one of the most challenging day hikes I've ever been on. The wind was strong and we were buffeted by snow squalls on and off the entire trip. We attempted to climb to the peak of a nearby mountain (Mt. Muttler), but turned back after realizing that climbing a mountain in the snow without gloves was probably a bad idea. All in all it was an excellent experience, and a great change of pace compared to the rest of the trip. I received texts from my cell provider that I had crossed into Austria. Based on maps I somewhat doubt that we crossed the border, but we sure got close!

 

Climbing up this was a pain, but certainly worth the view.  


 

This little lake is fed entirely by snowmelt and rain.  


 

The little sea was a nice break from the hills, but right after it we had to get on our hands and knees. 

 

Here's the peak we tried to summit, we didn't make it past the first bump in the ridgeline. I'd love to come back when the weather is warmer and try again.

Treacherous terrain, we probably could have made it to the summit but with this and the snow squalls we didn't want to risk it.

 

A helpful rock took our picture. 

 

This was an excellent hike, probably the highlight of the nonacademic portions of my trip. Final entry next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Post & Retrospective

Week 1 - Lab Work

Arrival and Settling In